Monday 8 February 2010

Game Related Noise

I remember the days when game soundtracks used MIDI files. Even that was pretty advanced compared to the minimal tones used in earlier games. Personally it is the MIDI tunes I always associate with the genre of 'Game Music.'

Games like Zelda and Final Fantasy were only enhanced by these poly tonal soundtracks. Because the music was different than that of whatever was playing in the charts at the time I think it served to remind you that you were playing a game. It was great because in playing games you got to listen to different music. Even though those days are behind us, I love listening to some of the old MIDI tracks because although players might not be intently listening at the time, I defy anyone to listen to MIDI tunes from games they played as kids and not instantly be taken back in their head to that game. I can still hear FF7 tunes and instantly see the game in my head.

Sound these days is vastly more sophisticated and is used to enhance the gaming experience much like it is used in films. Composers can now work exclusively for games, and create pieces of music which serve to enhance the mood, or increase the tension. Some character driven games have different pieces of music associated with each character and might have certain tunes play whenever said character makes an appearance. Sephiroth's theme from FF7 was even extended into a revamped version for the Advent Children film. Other games have certain music associated with them to enhance their identity. Halo made good use of this with an impressive orchestral score. Personally the FFX theme tune is one of the most beautiful melodies I've heard in a game.

In all my time playing games I think I can probably say that the most effective use I've ever experienced of a games soundtrack really enhancing the game, would be the Resident Evil series. Resident evil 1, 2 and 3 had the perfect accompanying sounds. The subtle music gently in the background, the soft shuffle of a zombie's feet when you entered a room, the silence followed by the turning of a door handle. Considering they came out in the PS1 days I think the developer really utilised the game sounds and score perfectly to enhance the experience. It was so well thought out I don't think it could have been done any better. The slow click click of an unseen licker in Resident Evil 2 is one of those gaming memories that will always stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment