Monday 8 March 2010

A Moment of Reflection

3 Years sounds like a long time, but it really isn't. My own personal reason for being at University simply was an excuse to study art for 3 years. Everything I've done whilst here I could have done at home, except in the real world I'd need a job and wouldn't be able to devote the vast amount of time that I currently do to art. The other bonus to being here is being part of the class which goes a long way in motivating me. If I were at home on my own I can’t say I’d be as motivated but seeing all the great work everyone else produces inspires me to better my own work.

Looking back, my original goals in coming to University were simply to work work work. The plan was to study art day and night, and now with the majority of the first year behind me I can safely say that is what I’ve done. I think my progress has mainly been theoretical though this year. My work has remained pretty consistent since day one, in fact I’d say my best work was in the first 3 weeks simply because it was more fine art oriented. I have spent the year loosening up and learning different ways of working and visualising things, and while the quality of my work has remained the same, i have gotten a lot faster at working. I’m probably still slower than the majority of people but I’ve taken at least a third off the time it takes me to do a piece of work.

The one area I’m really proud of my improvement in is life drawing. Before this course I’d only ever done it once and the results were pretty poor. But after 3 sessions I’m pretty happy with my life drawing outcomes as final pieces. I generally finish in time and am really happy with the rendering. Don’t really know where to go with them from here on out, aside from speeding up I guess and putting more detail in the face. I think that my anatomy studies in my gap year combined with my new faster looser style combine in life drawing to good effect. The few hours in life drawing each week is when I’m at my best.

It’s strange, although I am satisfied with all the work I produce, I will always feel that there is a massive void between where I am and where I want to be. To that end I try not to think about the future too much. I think about it in terms of goals and I know where I want to go, for example I’d like to end up in the film industry if possible and one day teach art, but on a day to day basis my only goal is simply to be the best artist I can be. So whatever I’m working on needs to have 300% effort gone into it. Unfortunately for me, a lot of work so far has had to be finished before I really feel it’s finished in my mind, but deadlines must be met and I like to think I have a good balance between bringing things up to a presentable standard and what I call finished.

Ultimately there’s not much more that I can do than I am doing, so I resolve myself to keeping up the hard work and hope that one day I’ll be happy with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment