Wednesday 24 November 2010

A Plan

I read the concepting link on Blackboard years ago, completely forgot about it until i saw it again. It is a great example of the process an artist should go through in order to create an image.

I'd like to think it's exactly what i have been focusing on this year. Really making sure i do my research before starting a final. Generally my process involves generating a successful thumbnail and a few variations, then to produce either a pencil or digi paint of the values as a quick paint over. If i'm working in colour i will then spend some time creating a palette, and outline in my head the order in which i will work through the picture. Lastly, before getting in to rendering i will get my reference images. Once all of this has been done, it really is as simple as painting by numbers.

The only problem i'm having this year is that i feel as if i have rushed alot of my final pieces, most notably the first few weeks.

When the vehicle project rolled around i thankfully had last year to fall back on. I spent ages on it last time trying to learn how to concept something and thankfully i recalled the same process this time.

Using photoshop i bring in random photos and start sketching the negative space and just look for any interesting shapes that i can pick out. Once this is done i do some additional scribbles off the top of my head. Then i go through and pick say about 6 that i really like and work them up a little bit. Up until this stage i stictly focus on the silouette but here i add some detail. Then i may wipe the detail and work into the same designs with different detail. Generally i will repeat this process a number of times until i have a design i like.

Once i pick one it is then time to get reference together and render up!

My process is ok. It isn't great, but it's way better than it used to be. This year i would rather spend all my time concepting stuff and not produce any finals at all. It sounds stupid, but i know i can produce a final, rendering is my thing, there is no point in endlessly rendering things. I'd much rather spend the time concepting and doing quick paintings, so that when i do sit down and spend some serious time on a final it's better because of it.

I think the main thing i need to do to continue to improve my process is to make it more habitual. Although my process works for me, when set a task my first instinct is still to jump straight in and that's holding me back because i think it influences the process and makes it less free. My first thought literally needs to be open and free and just dive into shapes and compositions first.

Essentially a professional process will produce a professional outcome (or at least it will go a long way in doing so)

And in this industry, concepting and design is everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment