Monday 16 November 2009

Blitzed

Jolyon was awesome. That pretty much sums up the tone of this post.

I don't know what i expected when i heard a guest lecturer from Blitz was coming in, but what we got was some sound advice from a guy that clearly loves art. His random pictures he'd taken whilst walking around clearly demonstrated his interest in art. I get the feeling that the reason he goes out to Uni to talk to students, is because he loves art. He's passionate about an area and is equally passionate about motivating people in that same area.

The main mantra of the lecture was that traditional art skills are the key to being a good artist. Understanding light, perspective, colour, anatomy, composition, etc. Regardless of medium, being an artist transcends them all.

I agree, which is why i choose this course.

I can't understand why someone would choose this course thinking they could dance around the traditional art side.

Game artists simply are some of the best artists in the world, concept sketches and speed paints show such mastery and understanding of colour and light. I don't particularly care about games, i mean i enjoy them and play them but i didn't choose this course to make games.

I'm a fine artist at heart, but at school i was always at odds with the teachers because the art education systems is ass about face. My old art teacher recently informed me that a government report came out earlier this year which at first praises academic drawing ability and the teaching of core skills but then u-turns and contradicts itself by saying art should emanate from children's spontaneity rather than a prescribed curriculum. The result? Abstract crap which is far from an expression of ones self and is instead a poor excuse for real transferable art skills.

For my alevels i did a contextual study on the standing of digital art in the world today and if it could be considered real art. I was mainly pushing to include more digital paintings in fine art. The teachers hated it and i had some blazing rows in the middle of class simply to justify myself as an artist. I hated my last year of art. Having said that i produced my best work to date and really found myself as an artist. By the end of it i had clear goals.

Due to the nature of the industry game artists need to be outstanding artists. Either that or you might as well be looking for another career. All I've ever wanted to be is a great artist, and the art that has always inspired me has always been concept art for games.

Jolyon's talk only reinforced this in me.

Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment