Wednesday 2 December 2009

The course

So we've been here a while now. I feel things are going well, very well in fact, having said that i feel like i haven't made as much progress as i could have. Don't get me wrong the work I've produced has been fine, but it's just more of what I've been doing for years. It may look nice, but it's not progress. Recently I've adopted a quicker more relaxed style, and while it's alot sketchier and less refined it's so much better for me.
I usually produce photo real final pieces, purely because that's my style (or lack there of) and that's what I've always done, and it's what I'm good at.
But whilst the new looser style may not really have the wow factor of my highly rendered style it has the benefit of being less time consuming. I normally spend anywhere between 12 - 20 hours on a final piece. That's pretty much standard, but then again i come from a fine art background so there you go.
So for me, speed is the most important skill to develop, my general understanding of things such as form, light, value etc is pretty solid. My only problem is I'm slower than a snail. That and I'm probably the least creative person ever =(
So i shall endeavour to pursue quick sketching, its loose, fast, and more often than not looks rubbish, but every now and then I'm producing some good fast work. Such as the still life in the studio. That was FAST. Finished the whole thing in 40 mins and its wwaaaayyy sketchy but i really think it captures the mood of the piece.
Hopefully if i just keep knocking these out the consistency will start to ramp up. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment